Re: Definition Required

David L. Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:50:07 -0400

Ben Crick <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk> wrote:

>On Thu 18 Sep 97 (12:27:41), dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>> It looks like Jonathan is trying to derail our train of thought with a
>
>>pun. Speaking of trains, does anyone know which opera is like a
>>railroad? The answer involves a *choice* pun.
>
> I don't know; but over here people refer to transport cafes as Opera Houses,
> because they are a good pull-in for car men. [groan]

Well, that certainly comes close. The choice (sc. "Joyce") pun I
had in mind for an answer is _The Rose of Castile_. The riddle with its
punful answer appears in Joyce's _Ulysses_, if I remember correctly
(although it might be in _Finnegan's Wake_, _Portrait of the Artist_, or
_Dubliners_). But enough of railroad puns; if we continue in this vein, the
serious Greek scholars on the list will be all ah... bored.

Regards to all,
David Moore

David L. Moore
Miami, Florida, USA
Southeastern Spanish District of the A/G Dept. of Education
E-mail: dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com
Home Page: http://members.aol.com/dvdmoore