Re: Emphasis and meaning

Ward Powers (bwpowers@eagles.bbs.net.au)
Mon, 01 Sep 1997 14:23:10 +1000

At 07:19 97/08/30 -0500, Carl wrote:
>At 12:31 PM -0500 8/29/97, lakr wrote:
>>Dear B-GREEK'ers,

[SNIP]

>>I have up to now, tried to ignore the accents, with the exception of
>>the rough breathing, but if it is important to the interpretation of
>>the text, I will consider tackling them.
>
>There aren't really an awful lot of instances where the accents make a big
>difference, but there are some, which I'm not going to try to list
>exhaustively, like interrogative and indefinite forms of TIS/TI
>distinguished by accent as well as by word-order, a 3d-singular like
>)ERWTA=i distinguished from a 2d-sg imperative )ERW'TA. Technically
>speaking the breathing marks aren't "accents" but "diacritical" marks, a
>more inclusive term for accents, breathing marks, diaereses, and crasis
>marks.

[SNIP]

>Carl W. Conrad
>Department of Classics/Washington University
>One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018
>Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649
>cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu OR cconrad@yancey.main.nc.us
>WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/

Dear Fellow Greekers,

If any others in b-greek are interested in the twelve major circumstances
where differences of breathings and/or accents differentiate between Greek
words, you will find them listed in section 8.85 (page 120) of my Greek
Grammar, "Learn To Read the Greek New Testament" (Fifth Edition, SPCK
Australia, 1995).

Regards,

Ward Powers

Rev Dr B. Ward Powers Phone (International):
61-2-9799-7501
10 Grosvenor Crescent Phone (Australia): (02) 9799-7501
SUMMER HILL NSW 2130 email: bwpowers@eagles.bbs.net.au
AUSTRALIA.