Re: hEWS

Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 13:15:53 EDT

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997 11:43:21 -0400 Jim Beale <eghx@gdeb.com> writes:
>CAIRE,
>
>A friend and I were discussing this sentence:
>
> KAI OUK EGINWSKEN AUTHN hEWS hOU ETEKEN hUION
> (Mt 1:25)
>
>the other day and we couldn't decide on the force of hEWS. Does
>"not X hEWS Y" imply "META Y, X" or not?
>
>CARIS,
>Jim

Jim, so good to hear from you again. Was on the way out, then saw
your post. Couldn't resist. It takes only one example to the contrary
to refute implication, as you know. One quick one comes to mind,
1 Cor 1:8, hOS KAI BEBAIWSEI hUMAS hEWS KOINWNIAN TOU
hUIOU AUTOU IHSOU CRISTOU TOU KURIOU hHMWN.

He will confirm you blameless until (hEWS) the end. Does this imply
that afterwards He will not confirm us blameless? I don't think so.

Reminds me of the use of ACRI in Rev 20:5. Many have inferred from
this that the rest of the dead come to life after the 1000 years. Hence,

one of the bases for premillennialism. But, the use of ACRI does not
necessitate this at all (cf Rom 5:13 - for until [ACRI] law sin was in
the
world; does this mean after the law, sin is no longer in the world?).

But, the argument against certain church views (you know what I mean
here)
is not dependent upon this verse.

Paul Dixon