Re: James 2.1

Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Sat, 06 Sep 1997 09:26:41 -0700

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>At 1:02 PM -0500 9/5/97, A. Brent Hudson wrote:
>>List,
>>James 2.1
>>....MH EN PROSWPOLHMYIAIS EXETE THN PISTIN TOU
>>KURIOU hHMWN IHSOU XRISTOU THS DOCHS.
>>
>>Is it possible for this to mean "it is not due to partiality [that] you
>>have
>>faith ..."? In other words, is James grounding his following exhortation
>>in the belief that there is no favoritism with God?
>
>No, because this is itself a negative exhortation, or (pace Edward) better:
>a command, an imperative. Note the negative particle is MH. So it's, "Don't
>exercise with partiality your faith ..."

Carl:

But isn't is possible (not likely) that this is a question expecting a
negative response, in which case EXETE is an indicative not an imperative ?
I.e., "You didn't become a Christian because of partiality, did you ?"
(expected answer is "No!")

Certainly the editors don't think so; I also find it unlikely in light of
the following discussion in Jas 2:2ff., and the use of EXETE PISTIN
rather than PISTEUW, but it is "possible".

XAIREIN...

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com