Re: KAI in 1 Jn 1:3

John Kendall (john.kendall@virgin.net)
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 12:31:20 +0100

Paul Zellmer wrote:

>A question came up as we were reviewing the draft of 1 John in our
>translation project. In the phrase APAGGELLOMEN KAI HUMIN in 1 Jn 1:3,
>
>with which part of the clause does the KAI go?

My impression is that adverbial KAI always relates to the item that follows it
- but my exposure to Koine Greek is limited so I may be wrong. However, I've
just consulted K. Titrud's useful essay, "The Function of KAI in the New
Testament and an Application to 2 Peter" in D. A. Black ed., Linguistics and
New Testament Interpretation (Nashville: Broadman, 1992) and he agrees.

Hope this helps and sorry if this has been dealt with already. I'm a little
behind with reading the recent digests.

John Kendall
Cardiff
Wales