RE: Machen Revisited

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 09:51:44 -0400

At 03:45 PM 9/19/97 +0000, Andrew Kulikovsky wrote:

>I know that SIL/Wycliffe Bible translators are using computer tools to do
>translation work. As Jonathan and Randy have pointed out there are lots
>of problems but the computer can generate an excellent first cut
>translation, which would take months or years for a human to do. Of
>course the computer translation is then thoroughly worked over, with
>corrections to style and meaning etc,

I would be interested in seeing a text and its first-cut translation. Of
course, Bible translation deals with a well-defined corpus, and does not
have to deal with unexpected examples. You could encode a lot of stuff
directly in the Greek database to make sure that it "understands" the Greek
reasonably well. If you needed to translate only into English, it would be
faster to just translate the Bible than to develop the database.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com