Re: Parakletos, all five cases

Paul Zellmer (zellmer@isabela.faith.edu.ph)
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 07:59:32 -0800

Trevor Peterson wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 09:13:17 -0800 Paul Zellmer
><zellmer@isabela.faith.edu.ph> writes:
>
>[snipped]
>>
>>The traditional view, as I understand it, is that the Holy Spirit in
>>John 14, 15, and 16 comes along beside us to help us. What if,
>>instead, Jesus is saying that the Holy Spirit is coming along beside
>>him, i.e. Jesus, to help him do his work? This would greatly narrow
>>down the semantic domain of this word, would it not? All five
>>instances would basically describe the same type function.
>
>This is more or less a gut reaction, but doesn't the usage in John
14:16
>tend to argue against this? I've always taken ALLON to follow from
Jesus
>as the present PARAKLHTOS; thus, TO PNEUMA THS ALHQEIAS is being
>described as another paraclete like He has been to them already. I
don't
>see how this could incorporate a meaning for PARAKLHTOS not directed
>toward the disciples.

Trevor,

I tried hard to stretch my logic to counter your argument, but failed
miserably. (I told you you could tell me that I'm all wet.) If ALLON
does not imply that Jesus is PARAKLHTOS of the same class, then we are
left begging who is that one. This by itself, however, does not
preclude the Holy Spirit to be one sent assist Jesus in his task. Even
attorneys have ALLON attorney to do their personal legal work, doctors
are treated by ALLON doctor, etc. But, when we include the hUMIN, your
argument is strengthened. If ALLON is given hUMIN, we still are not
clear whether the first was given hUMIN or someone else. While it
would not be impossible to say that Jesus is the PARAKLHTOS of the
disciples and that the Holy Spirit was the PARAKLHTOS given Jesus on
for the sake of the disciples, the logic gets stretched thinner and
thinner. We add the next clause, and it breaks down almost entirely.

So I withdraw my suggestion. Thanks also to Carl and David for their
insights.

Paul

Paul and Dee Zellmer, Jimmy Guingab
Ibanag Translation Project