Re: Questions on 1 Pet.2:11-16

Sun, 28 Sep 1997 06:40:54 -0500

At 4:57 AM -0500 9/28/97, Martin Arhelger wrote:
>Theo wrote:
>
>> Questions on the text of 1 Pet. 2:11-16
>> Does hWS PAROIKOUS KAI PAREPIDHMOUS modify PARAKALW or
>APECESQAI?.
>

>I think it modifies PARAKALW. Here are some reasons:

Perhaps this may seem a quibble, but in formal grammatical analysis I think
we'd want to say that hWS PAROIKOUS KAI PAREPIDHMOUS must construe with and
therefore technically *modify* an implicit accusative *object* of PARAKALW.
It is those who are being exhorted who are to be exhorted just as strangers
and sojourners would be exhorted. So, I think that (see note below on what
Kuehl says) that hUMAS must be implicit here, even if not expressed, and to
get this into English, at least, we do have to supply the object pronoun,
"I exhort YOU as ..."

>1) PARAKALW + hWS is found also in 1 Timothy 5:1: Rebuke not an
>elder, but exhort him as a father; the younger men as brethren
>(PRESBUTERWi MH EPIPLHXHS ALLA PARAKALEI WS PATERA, NEWTEROUS WS
>ADELFOUS ... ). Here it is evident, that WS PATERA and WS
>ADELFOUS are the motives and reasons for the exhortations.

But here too, although an object of PARAKALEI is not formally expressed, it
is clearly implied by the dative PRESBUTERWi that was just used with the
negative imperative (aor. subj., to be precise) MH EPIPLHXHiS, so that we
must understand an implicit accusative object of PARAKALEI (in English we
have to supply a "him": "... but exhort *him* as (you would exhort) a
father. Moreover, the object is supplied in what follows immediately as
another parallel pair with PARAKALEI: it is NEWTEROUS the object, then
predicative hWS ADELFOUS.