Re: Rev 2:20 - "the adultery of eating food"

James H. Vellenga (jhv0@mailhost.viewlogic.com)
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 16:15:17 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Ben Crick <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>
> Date: Tue, 30 Sep 97 20:35:49
>
> <snip>
>
> The Book of Common Prayer (Anglican, 1662) is full of Hendiadys: the art
> of never using one word, when two will do! 50% redundancy.
>
> "...the Scripture moveth us in sundry places to *acknowledge and confess* =
> our
> manifold *sins and wickednesses*; and that we should not *dissemble nor cl=
> oke*
> them...; but confess them... when we *assemble and meet together*... to as=
> those things which are *requisite and necessary*.... Wherefore I *pray and=
>
> beseech you*....
>
> "Almighty and most merciful Father; we have *erred and strayed* from thy
> ways like lost sheep. We have followed too much the *devices and desires*
> of our own hearts...".

Are these really hendiadyses? My dictionary says that a
hendiadys is two words connected by a conjunction that express
the equivalent of and adjective and substantive. It cites
"grace and favor" as equivalent to "gracious favor" (which
I doubt) -- I like "good and dead" better. But isn't there
another figure of speech where one uses conjunctions to
connect like words with effectively the same meaning for
emphasis?

Regards,
Jim V.