Re: Rom 12:3 -- Faith by fixed amounts?

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 11:15:49 -0400

At 08:39 AM 9/29/97 -0400, James H. Vellenga wrote:

>>From Rom 12:3:
>
> hEKASTWi hWS hO QEOS EMERISEN METRON PISTEWS
> as God allotted to each [person] an amount of a commitment
>
>Two things here puzzle me:
>
>1) That God allots us PISTIS (commitment, faith, trust,
>faithfulness) by amounts -- actually not too surprising, because
>we do see it varying in practice, but
>
>2) That EMERISEN is aorist, which seems to denote a
>completed (end point in view) rather than ongoing
>activity.

[SNIP!]

I don't think I see the whole picture here, but I do see a few other uses of
the same word that might be helpful:

2 Cor 10:13 hHMEIS DE OUK EIS TA AMETRA KAUCHSOMEQA ALLA KATA TO METRON TOU
KANONOS hOU EMERISEN hHMIN hO QEOS METROU, EFIKESQAI ACRI KAI hUMWN.

The phrase KATA TO METRON TOU KANONOS hOU EMERISEN hHMIN hO QEOS METROU
seems to mean something like "within the limits that God has given to us",
and although Paul says they don't presume to anything beyond these limits,
he also makes clear that these limits include authority for the Corinthians.

Eph 4:16 EC hOU PAN TO SWMA SUNARMOLOGOUMENON KAI SUMBIBAZOMENON DIA PASHS
hAFHS THS EPICORHGIAS KAT ENERGEIAN EN METRWi hENOS hEKASTOU MEROUS THN
AUKSHSIN TOU SWMATOS POIEITAI EIS OIKODOMHN hEAUTOU EN AGAPH.

Look especially at the phrase EN METRWi hENOS hEKASTOU MEROUS. I think that
this indicates that each of us has been given a measure for the growth of
the body, to build it up in love.

And the context in Romans 12 also seems to reinforce this possibility. Paul
stresses that it is "through the grace given to me" that he says the Romans
should not think too highly of himself, and after 12:3, he talks about the
different gifts that we have been given to build up the body.

Which makes me wonder...I know that TO METRON can be used for linear
measure. Perhaps it can also be used for measuring land? Is it possible that
the phrase hEKASTWi hOS hO QEOS EMERISEN METRON PISTEWS could be interpreted
to mean "as God has appointed each of us an area of faithfulness"? I know
this isn't a traditional interpretation, but does it have merit? Interpreted
this way, the meaning is that we should not judge others, since God has
given each of us an area of faithfulness, and gifted us each differently. We
should contribute to the body according to the gifts that God has given us,
and without expecting others to have the same gifts that we do.

Is this off the wall?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com