Re: Translating and Inclusive Language

Robert J. Petry (Ambassador@sisna.com)
Fri, 05 Sep 1997 11:18:12 -0700

Jim Brooks wrote:

> >I've seen "s/he" used without its seeming very jarring in the
> nominative,
> >but there isn't any comparable possessive or objective form.
>
> How would one pronounce "s/he"? The same as "she"? Perhaps
> "she-he" (said
> rapidly)? Maybe we would also need to introduce a new
> vocalization in
> English to account for "/". How about a tongue click?
> "Sss-click-he"

Reginald Dutton in the 40's published his World Speedwords. It
was, and is, an international shorthand/auxiliary language. He
uses the suffix -r to turn a word into a "person" word. So "rie"
is the word for shorthand. By adding the -r to it, it becomes
"rier" or stenographer. He suggests something I like. His
speedword for "either-or" is simply "or". Thus, you can "or"
[either] use this word "or" [0r]not use it. By attaching -r to
"or" you get "orr". He used this to mean "he or she" "him or her"
etc., in a sentence, i.e. the "either-or person". I don't know
what others think about this, but I use and like it. I think it
works for both orr. Anyway, just a thought.Bob Petry, C.L.
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/2464/index.html