Re: Nonexistent forms?

Stephen E. Michaels (smichaels@erols.com)
Mon, 06 Oct 1997 22:35:40 -0400

At 02:28 PM 10/6/97 -0500, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 1:03 PM -0500 10/6/97, Martin Arhelger wrote:
<snip>

>>> My question is: do any of the forms that I have flagged as
>>"non-existent"
>>> occur outside the NT? (And if so, which ones?)
>>

>>Using a computer programm (e.g. "bible-works") you will easily find
>>examples of forms in the LXX, for example:
>>Impft. Subj. in Isa 7:9
>>Future Subj. in Isa 10:12
>
>I hate to say this, but if these are marked as subjunctives in any computer
>program, there is something wrong with the program.
>
>Isaiah 7:9 LXX KAI EAN MH PISTEUSHTE, OUDE MH SUNHTE (I'd say we have
>aorist subjunctives in both clauses here, from PISTEUW and SUNIHMI
>respectively)
>
>Isaiah 10:12 LXX KAI ESTAI hOTAN SUNTELESHi KURIOS PANTA POIWN EN TWi OREI
>SIWN KAI EN IEROUSALHM, EPAXEI EPI TON NOUN TON MEGAN, TON ARCONTA TWN
>ASSURIWN, KAI EPI TO hUYOS THS DOXHS TWN OFQALMWN AUTOU. Here SUNTELESHi
>must be an aorist subjunctive. I've yet to see an imperfect subjunctive or
>a future subjunctive anywhere in Greek, and I'm very skeptical if such will
>be found that doesn't prove to be an error of some sort.
>
>Carl W. Conrad
>Department of Classics/Washington University
>One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018
>Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649
>cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu OR cconrad@yancey.main.nc.us
>WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/

Bible Works for Windows does indeed have SUHNTE in Isa 7:9 marked as an
imperfect subjunctive and SUNTELESH in Isa 10:12 marked as a future
subjunctive. We cannot, however, place the blame with the software
publisher: the LXX morphological database came from the University of
Pennsylvania CATSS. Note the following copyright notice:

>LXX Greek Morphology and Lemma Database (LXM), 1991 Edition, Copyright ©
1990-1991 by the University of Pennsylvania, CATSS. The morphologically
analyzed text of CATSS Greek Jewish Scriptures was prepared by the CATSS
(Computer Assisted Tools for Septuagint Studies) Project, under the
direction of Robert Kraft (Philadelphia team). The morphological analysis
was done by David Packard in 1977. The LXM coding and lemmatization scheme
(such as compound verbs) is not consistent with the Friberg AGNT2
morph-parsing coding and lemmatization. However, some of this inconsistency
has been overcome by certain BibleWorks features, such as re-use GNM search
expression in an LXM search.

>Copyright © 1995 Michael S. Bushell

Stephen E. Michaels
ThM Cand.