Re: 1 Peter 1:7

Martin Arhelger (martin.arhelger@metronet.de)
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 09:47:31 +0200

James H. Vellenga wrote:

> It seems to me that Jim Beale's original question may have
> differed from Martin's response (and perhaps that of others).
>
> It sounded to me like Jim was asking whether then phrase
> could be parsed as
>
> DOKIMION
> \ \_____hUMWN
> \__TO \____PISTEWS
> \___THS
>
> "the appraisal of you [who belong to] the faith"
>
> and Martin (and others) seemed to appraising the following
> parse
>
> DOKIMION
> \ \ \_____________PISTEWS
> \ \_____hUMWN \___THS
>
> "the appraisal of you, [that is,] of the faith"
>
> and Jonathan is reading it as
>
> DOKIMION
> \ \________PISTEWS
> \__TO \ \___hUMWN
> \___THS
>
> "the appraisal of _your_ faith"
>
> I'm not sure how Edgar was parsing what Jim meant -- perhaps
> structurally like the second, but treating THS PISTEWS as
> a sphere or means
>
> "the appraisal of you [in the area] of the faith"
>
> (but then goes on to say that he doesn't think that this works).
>
> Have I understood everybody correctly?
>
> Regards,
> Jim V.

Thanks Jim! You clarified the cases and our thoughts!

May I add some thoughts?

1st posibillity:

DOKIMION
\ \_____hUMWN
\__TO \____PISTEWS
\___THS

"the appraisal of you [who belong to] the faith"

I think that this interpretation would run grammatically, but don't
think it makes a good sense with regard to the NT-use of PISTIS. I
do not know any case in the NT, where PISTIS is used to define an
affiliation. (PISTIS is sometimes used to define the Christian
doctrine or teaching, but that would be a very technical sense in 1
Peter 1:7, wouldn't it ?) Does anybody know an instance?
I don't know any exegete, who interpreted the words that way. Any
comments?

2 nd posibillity:

DOKIMION
\ \_____hUMWN \___THS

"the appraisal of you, [that is,] of the faith"

I still think that this would be an awkward splitting of thoughts
(see my last e-mail). But it is interesting to find, that the famous
conservative German exegete A. Schlatter (1852-1938) seems to
understand it that way. In his commentary on James 1:3 (Der Brief
des Jakobus, Stuttgart 1932 - I don't know, whether there exists an