Re: Nonexistent forms?

Martin Arhelger (martin.arhelger@metronet.de)
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 10:18:47 +0200

> At 1:03 PM -0500 10/6/97, Martin Arhelger wrote:
> >
> >Using a computer programm (e.g. "bible-works") you will easily
find
> >examples of forms in the LXX, for example:
> >Impft. Subj. in Isa 7:9
> >Future Subj. in Isa 10:12
>
> I hate to say this, but if these are marked as subjunctives in any
computer
> program, there is something wrong with the program.

Thanks for your answer, Carl. You are perfectly right, of course! I
used the computer-programm "bible-works" mechanically shortly before
midnight, and did not check the texts. The datas seem to be false,
here. And I must add: It is not the first fault, that I found in
"bible-works" (especially in the LXX!), although not using it for a
long time.

What I will learn from it is: "To give an answer before hearing (or:
before checking the texts!) is a foolish thing" (Proverbs 18:13).

With greetings

______________________________
| |
| Martin Arhelger |
| D-53121 Bonn |
| Germany |
| martin.arhelger@metronet.de |
|______________________________|

> Isaiah 7:9 LXX KAI EAN MH PISTEUSHTE, OUDE MH SUNHTE (I'd say we
have
> aorist subjunctives in both clauses here, from PISTEUW and SUNIHMI
> respectively)
>
> Isaiah 10:12 LXX KAI ESTAI hOTAN SUNTELESHi KURIOS PANTA POIWN EN
TWi OREI
> SIWN KAI EN IEROUSALHM, EPAXEI EPI TON NOUN TON MEGAN, TON ARCONTA
TWN
> ASSURIWN, KAI EPI TO hUYOS THS DOXHS TWN OFQALMWN AUTOU. Here
SUNTELESHi