Re: 1Thess. 4:14, what about dia?

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Tue, 07 Oct 1997 12:05:46 -0400

At 10:37 AM 10/7/97 -0500, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>Jonathan Robie wrote:
>>...but I still don't understand the interpretation "who have
>>fallen asleep in Jesus"

>I'm not sure what it is that you don't understand here, Jonathan.

I may well be missing something obvious here, but I just don't understand
how TOUS KOIMHQENTAS DIA TOU IHSOU can be interpreted as "those who have
fallen asleep in Jesus". What would be the sense of DIA that can lead to
that interpretation, which is used in these translations?

KJV: For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also
which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

NIV: We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God
will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com