Re: Ephesians 4:11?

John M. Sweigart (jsweiger@cswnet.com)
Tue, 07 Oct 1997 11:13:59 -0500

Jim West wrote:

> At 01:00 PM 10/7/97 +0000, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a question regarding Ephesians 4:11. In the Greek, is the "gave"
> >in this verse a continuing action, or a one-time act.
> >

> The verb is aorist tense. The aorits, however, does not merely function as
> a punctiliar; it can also have an ingressive sense. Thus, it would be
> legitimate to here translate "he continuously gives..." etc.
>
> >The question behind the question is: can this verse be used to support
> >the idea of a present-day five-fold ministry? Or did the church at one
> >time have apostles and people ministering in the office of apostle, but
> >currently we have evangelists, pastors and teachers?
> >

> in fact, an "apostle" is a missionary- a sent one. That the author of
> ephesians thought that there were only 12 "apostles" is not correct. By the
> time ephesians was written (around 70-80 a.d.) there were in fact none of
> the 12 still alive- but there were plenty of "missionaries".
>
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Anton
> >

> Jim
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++
> Jim West
>
> Adjunct Professor of Bible,
> Quartz Hill School of Theology
>
> jwest@highland.net
Hello Jim;
Is there any evidence available to suggest the 5 fold ministry were
actually recognized offices in the synagogue that could be filled by any
of the elders? I think I heard a Jewish Christian teacher named
Showalter teach that on TV but I didn't quite catch it all.
--

Rev. John M. Sweigart Box 895 Dover, Arkansas 72837 Cumberland Presbyterian Church __________________________________