Re: Contract verbs

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Fri, 07 Nov 1997 20:25:43 -0500

At 07:16 PM 11/7/97 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>I'm not sure whether this answer fits your particular question, but if it
>doesn't, you can try again.

It answers a great deal of it.

I have a few pedagogical problems here:

1. How can you look at a verb form in the GNT, say, LALW, and know that you should look it up in the dictionary as LALEW? Is there any way?

2. Is it helpful to learn the uncontracted forms as well as the contracted forms, or should I just teach the contracted forms (as I have for the -EW verbs).

3. Robertson points out that -AW and -EW endings are sometimes confused in the GNT. Is this worth pointing out to beginners?

Jonathan