Re: Matthew (Was: POLLOI in Luke 1:1 (long))

Thomas Kopecek (kopecekt@central.edu)
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 23:12:35 +0000

Ben Crick wrote:

> Matthew reported directly to Rome; not to or via the client- or vassal-king
> (quarter-ruler) Herod Antipas the Tetrarch of Galilee. You will remember that
> Herod the Great had come under suspicion towards the end of his reign, and
> Octavian Augustus ordered a new census to be taken (Luke 2:1-2), enforcing
> new tax laws. For the date of the census, see HW Hoehner, /Chronological
> Aspects of the Life of Christ/, Grand Rapids, 1977.
>
> Sorry, that's all I have to add...

Hello Ben:

Thanks for the reference. It just never occurred to me to question the
conventional wisdom ("conventional" in the circles that educated me, at
least: divinity school and grad school in Patristics and ancient
history) that Luke 2:1-2 refers to the census taken in 6 AD, when Herod
the Great's son, Herod Archelaus, was relieved from being
client-ethnarch, and hence Rome needed to take a census because Judaea
was now to be under a prefect/procurator. I know there is a Tacitus
passage to which appeal is normally made, but my Tacitus--along with my
Greek Josephus--is in my office. So all I have available is Whiston's
translation of Josephus' Antiquities, where the census is discussed as
follows. So thanks again for the reference to Hoehner.

I suspect this ought to be our last post about this issue on-list, since
it doesn't have to do with any problems concerning the Greek of the NT,
does it?

Tom

Josephus, ANTIQUITIES 18: FROM THE BANISHMENT OF ARCHELUS TO THE
DEPARTURE FROM BABYLON.

CHAPTER 1.

HOW CYRENIUS [Quirinius] WAS SENT BY CAESAR TO MAKE A TAXATION OF SYRIA
AND JUDEA; AND HOW COPONIUS WAS SENT TO BE PROCURATOR OF JUDEA;
CONCERNING JUDAS OF GALILEE, etc.

1. NOW Cyrenius [Quirinius] , a Roman senator, and one who had gone
through other magistracies, and had passed through them till he had been
consul, and one who, on other accounts, was of great dignity, came at
this time into Syria, with a few others, being sent by Caesar to he a
judge of that nation, and to take an account of their substance.
Coponius also, a man of the equestrian order, was sent together with
him, to have the supreme power over the Jews. Moreover, Cyrenius came
himself into Judea, which was now added to the province of Syria, to
take an account of their substance, and to dispose of Archelaus's money;
but the Jews, although at the beginning they took the report of a
taxation heinously, yet did they leave off any further opposition to it,
by the persuasion of Joazar, who was the son of Beethus, and high
priest; so they, being over-persuaded by Joazar's words, gave an account
of their estates, without any dispute about it. Yet was there one Judas,
a Gaulonite, (1) of a city whose name was Gamala, who, taking with him
Sadduc, (2) a Pharisee, became zealous to draw them to a revolt, who
both said that this taxation was no better than an introduction to
slavery, and exhorted the nation to assert their liberty; as if they
could procure them happiness and security for what they possessed, and
an assured enjoyment of a still greater good, which was that of the
honor and glory they would thereby acquire for magnanimity. They also
said that God would not otherwise be assisting to them, than upon their
joining with one another in such councils as might be successful, and
for their own advantage; and this especially, if they would set about
great exploits, and not grow weary in executing the same; so men
received what they said with pleasure, and this bold attempt proceeded
to a great height. Etc., etc.