Re: Textual Criticism in Mk 4:28

Thomas Bond (lpbond@pld.net)
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 09:48:07 -0600

J.D.F.=van=Halsema%BW_KG%TheoFilos@esau.th.vu.nl wrote:

> I have got a question as regards a variant reading in Mark 4:28:
>
> Basically there are three readings:
> 1a PLHRHS SITON 042 28
> b PLHRES SITON C*vid
> 2a PLHRH SITON 01 A C2 L 037 fam1 fam13 33 etc, Koine
> b PLHRH TON SITON 038 565 700 1424
> 3a PLHRHS SITOS 2427 arm
> b PLHRES SITOS B
> c PLHRHS O SITOS D W

I laid Greek aside for a number of years and only have NA26 to read from. The
reading in the text is PLHRH[S] SITON as found in C*vid. I see no option for
PLHRES SITON -- 1b as you have it listed. I suppose that shows up in NA27.

I took that to mean that PLHRHS was understood to be incorrect regarding case.
PLHRH would be correct, hence the []. However, if one characteristic of the
Alexandrian text type that of correcting grammatical errors, then to find it
corrected in reading 2a would not be surprising. So, what is thought to have
been the original hand C*vid, corrected later in C2, would be the preferred
reading simply because it is the more difficult, grammatically wrong reading.

However, if my apparatus is out of date, then I do not think reading 1a would
be preferred -- PLHRHS SITON. I would think that 1b -- PLHRES SITON -- would
be more likely, for the same reason given above.

I may be completely wrong. But, I am trying re-learn Greek at the moment and
thought it would be fun to wrestle with a problem of textual criticism. I
think I better go out and get a new text for one thing.

Thomas Bond
.lpbond@pldi.net