Re: unanswerd question

Revcraigh@aol.com
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 18:19:11 -0500 (EST)

>> in 2 Cor. 3:18 we find the phrase "from glory to glory" (NIV: "with
>> ever-increasing glory"). How should we understand this phrase
>> grammatically/semantically? It does seem rather idiomatic. Is the
>NIV's
>> rendering a good and accurate one?
>>
>> cheers,
>> Andrew

It can mean from [one level of] glory to [the next level of] glory as the NIV
gives. Indeed, it does seem, because of the contrast with the glory of Moses'
face which in the beginning was so strong that the Israelites could not look
upon him but which henceforth faded, that APO DOCEIS EIS DOCAN should
indicate the opposite effect, namely which begins weak and grows ever
stronger. In this sense the meaning could be: we reflect the Lord's glory
weakly now because of the weakness of our flesh and our proneness to sin but
that that reflection grows stronger as we grow in our faith and in holiness
of life (we become ever more and more like Jesus) and that this process
continues until we leave this earthly life and enter into our heavenly life
where we shall shine like the sun, all sin having been put away. In this way
of looking at it, it is different levels of holiness that is in view. This, I
think, is in agreement with Jonathan's response.

But there is another possibility. "As we all (hHMEIS DE PANTES), with
unveiled face (ANAKEKALUMMENWi PROSWPWi), are looking upon, as in a mirror
(KATOPTRIZOMENOI or "are reflecting the glory of the Lord", the meaning of
this word is uncertain), the glory of the Lord (THN DOCAN KURIOU), we are
being changed into the same image (THN AUTHN EIKONA METAMORFOUMEQA) from [the
Lord's] glory (APO DOCHS = source) unto [our] glory (EIS DOCAN = result), as
from the Spirit of the Lord (KAQAPER APO KURIOU PNEUMATOS). That is, it is
the glory of the Lord (who now stands at the right hand of God as though a
lamb having been slain), which we look upon as in a mirror (as we read the
Scripures or hear the Gospel proclaimed or which we are reflecting), which is
transforming us into people who show forth His glory (reflect our Lord's
attitudes and works by our own). In this way of looking at it, APO indicates
that the source of the transformation taking place in us
is the Lord and EIS indicates that the result of this transformation is the
glorifying of us.

Overall, both interpretations are saying essentially the same thing:
Christians are being transformed by God into the likeness of Christ so that
His glory may be more and more evident in their lives; the difference is one
of emphasis.

The flow of Chapter 3 seems to be as follows:

Paul seems to be touchy about a perceived need to prove his credentials. He
doesn't need a letter of commendation either to the Corinthians or to anyone
else. He says:

2 You yourselves are our letter of recommendation, written on your hearts, to
be known and read by all men; 3 and you show that you are a letter from
Christ delivered by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the
living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

That is: Paul does not need a letter of recommendation to corroborate either
his authority as an Apostle or the validity of his ministry since they
themselves, by their faith and by their lives in Christ which are evident to
all, prove both. The very fact that they believe and continue to live godly
lives is all the proof necessary that Christ is transforming lives through
Paul's ministry.

Paul goes on in v. 7 ff. to contrast the ministry of Moses through the Law
written upon tablets of stone, which, like the veil he wore over his face, to
this very day acts like a veil over the eyes of unbelieving Jews so that they
cannot perceive the truth in the Scriptures. Just as the veil blocked from
the Israelites' eyes the fading glory on Moses' face, the Law has acted as a
veil to prevent those Jews who reject Jesus from seeing in Him the Glory of
God.

All of this leads up to verses 16-18. The Corinthians have turned to the
Lord; the veil has been removed; the Spirit of the Lord is among them and
they are free; and they, along with all Christians, are being transformed
into the Lord's image and likeness (not a transformation of physical
appearance so that we will all look like Jesus one day, but a moral
transformation so that more and more our lives and attitudes resemble that of
Jesus).

What do you others think of this APO = source / EIS = result theory?

God Bless,
Rev. Craig R. Harmon.