Re: AGAMOS

Ward Powers (bwpowers@eagles.bbs.net.au)
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 21:33:02 +1100

At 13:06 97/11/18 -0500, David Moore wrote:

> First let me express apology for not having followed through yet on
>looking up all the references on AGAMOS that were so kindly provided.
>Between my duties in ministry and the activities related to the imminent
>marriage of my daughter, I haven't gotten over to Maimi's central library
>where some of the sources mentioned are available.
>
> I have, however, looked up those references that are available
>through Perseus, and upon putting them in chronological order (by century),
>they are suggestive of a pattern. I have categorized these references as
>follows:

[SNIP]

The strongest implication of "never married" and the most unanimous
>testimony of this meaning is in the 7th- to 5th-century authors. We know
>that Paul uses AGAMOS in reference to a previously married person (1C 7:11),
>and Pausanias' use of the word seems to imply this meaning as well. So
>there appears to be a shift in meaning between the 5th century and the Koine
>period.
>
> This is still based on incomplete data, since I haven't checked out
>those references beyond Perseus and the few classics in Greek in my own
>library. I hope to get at the other references when I have time available.
>If anyone else does so in the meantime, that will be fine.
>
> I will be away from my computer and e-mail for a number of days, so
>will not be able to immediately answer responses to this post, if any.

David, this is for your attention when you get back on deck. Those of us on
b-greek who have been following this thread are in your debt for what you
have done already. We look forward to reading anything further you are able
to provide re other references in due course. But your conclusions do seem
to follow without question from the data you have summarized for us.

It then raises the significant question: if in the Homeric and Classical
periods AGAMOS was used primarily (or even possibly exclusively) with the
meaning "never been married", what would have been used during those times
to convey the meaning "was married before, but not now", i.e., "widowed or
divorced"? Does anyone know of any word(s) or expression(s) with that
meaning? Or, passages in extra-biblical texts where such a meaning is being
conveyed?

Regards,

Ward

Rev Dr B. Ward Powers Phone (International): 61-2-9799-7501
10 Grosvenor Crescent Phone (Australia): (02) 9799-7501
SUMMER HILL NSW 2130 email: bwpowers@eagles.bbs.net.au
AUSTRALIA.