Re: Ethical date, EMOI

Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 16:38:05 EST

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 15:39:24 -0500 (EST) Edward Hobbs
<EHOBBS@wellesley.edu> writes:
>The term "ethical dative" goes way back. I found it in the first
edition
>of Blass's grammar; perhaps he got it from earlier writers, but since
>Blass's time, everyone calls it "the so-called ethical dative,"
>including Goodwin, Gulick, Smyth, Messing, etc., etc. So perhaps
>"so-called" means that the term isn't so perspicuous. Most treat it
>as a sub-type of the dative of interest or advantage (so is it
>the UNethical dative?).
>
>The translation of EMOI in such cases is IMHO (in cyberspeak).

Edward:

Am trying desperately to exegete your last sentence. Are your really
saying the translation of EMOI is IMHO, that is, "in my honest opinion?"
Or, should we take this as a scribal error where the last part of the
sentence was thought, but not written? If so, then what was the last and
most interesting part?

Paul Dixon

P.S., Grateful Red was a little disappointing, but maybe that's more a
commentary on me.