Re: Phil 1:18; ALLA KAI CARHSOMAI

Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 01:59:02 EST

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997 20:45:41 EST "Paul S. Dixon" <dixonps@juno.com>
writes:

>B-Greekers:
>
>A. T. Robertson says CARHSOMAI in Phil 1:18 is a second future, and
>that it is passive. I have a couple of questions.
>
>First, what is the conjugation for second futures? I am well aware of
>the second aorist, but cannot recall ever studying about the second
>future. Is this more Classical than Koine?
>
>Second, if this is a passive voice, how should it be rendered? "I
>shall be rejoiced, "I shall be overcome with joy"? All the
>translations I checked suggest either an active or middle voice. CAIRW
>is not deponent, so shouldn't we expect the translation to reflect the
>passive voice a little better than, "I shall rejoice" (RSV), "I ...
>will rejoice" (KJV)?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Paul Dixon

Since nobody has responded yet, and since I just checked ATR and found
something of interest, let me share it:

"The so-called second future passive as seen in the case of CARHSOMAI
above is really just the middle ending with S put to the aorist active
stem ... The point is that fundamentally these so-called second future
passives are really future middles corresponding to active aorists like
the future middles and presents above (LHMYSOMAI, for instance) ...
Homer, besides, only has one second future passive (MIGHSOMAI, really
middle) and none in -QHS_." (p. 356).

Interesting, but any other comments appreciated.

Paul Dixon