Re: EIPE LOGWi Matt & Luke

George Athas (gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 09:52:55 +1100

Greetings Jonathan!

You wrote:

> But it could well be a fixed expression that would be used by a centurion
> who worked for Rome, even if the centurion did not speak Latin (or did not
> speak it well). We say "Gesundheit" in English, even if we don't speak
> German, and a lawyer will issue a "habeas corpus" even if he doesn't speak
> Latin (and I don't either). The phrase "KURIE ELEISON" was used in many
> early liturgies in languages like Latin and Coptic. So I see it as quite
> possible that DIC VERBO would be a fixed expression, possibly used without
> translation within the military hierarchy, but more likely translated
> word-for-word into Greek. After all, to "issue a command" is a very official
> event which must be conveyed unambiguously, very likely to result in fixed
> expressions; in English, we "issue" commands and statements, but certainly
> don't issue words, sentences, or emails.

Point taken. Very well said.

>>I'll see your two cents and raise you one denarius.

I'd give you a whole talent for that one, but all I'm left with is half a
quadrans! I've had so much correspondence this morning (Syd time) that I'm just
about out of short change. And it's very very very very hot here in Sydney.
We're expecting about 40¦C (104¦F in Ameri-talk) today, and the mercury is
rapidly rising (and it isn't even 10am yet!).

Melting in Sydney,
George Athas (University of Sydney)
< gathas@mail.usyd.edu.au >

(Visit the Tel Dan & Bytyhwh Ostracon sites at)
(http://www-personal.usyd.edu.au/~gathas/TelDan.htm)