Re: EUQUS in Mark

Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Fri, 08 May 1998 15:46:28 -0400

At 02:18 PM 5/8/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm sure somebody has written stuff on the use of EUQUS in Mark.

You are absolutely right!!! Someone has written something on everything!! :)
I am sure that if you look at Mann's commentary on Mark in the Anchor Bible,
you will find a discussion somwhere (listed in the index).

Basically, the theory is that Mark was written for Roman folk. With their
militaristic view of life, orders, and obediences, some suggest that the
word had special purpose in Mark by demonstrating that Jesus is a great
leader (as well as other things, obviously) who is INSTANTLY obeyed, and who
does things PURPOSEFULLY- both of which are denoted by "euthus".

>Can
>anybody fill me in? I'd be especially interested in stuff coming from a
>discourse analysis viewpoint, but I'd be interested in anything else I
>could find, too.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD