Re: Rev 5:8-9 Who sang the new song?

Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Tue, 12 May 98 18:39:50

On Tue 12 May 98 (02:23:00), web3943@charweb.org wrote:
> Rev 5:8-9 Who sang the new song?
> [snip]
> The 4 beasts and 24 elders sang?
>
> (Rev 5:9 KJV) And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to
> take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and
> hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue,
> and people, and nation;
>
> redeemed 'us' ???? the beasts and elders ???

Dear Thomas,

IMHO the 3rd pers plural AiDOUSIN is the indefinite plural; "They" sang;
i.e. "people" sang; "everybody" sang. The plural of the indefinite "one
sang"; "somebody sang". It is similar to the hUMNHSATH TWi KURIWi hUMNON
KAINON of Isaiah 42:10 LXX. "Jubilate, everybody!"

You've answered your own question; it's the Redeemed: the beasts and elders,
AND the whole multitude out of every kindred and tongue and people and
nation. The Elders suddenly produce guitars KIQARAI with which to lead
the congregational singing, rather as our "guitar groups" might do today.

The KIQARA is one of the instruments mentioned in Daniel 3:5,7,10,15 LXX.
From the Latin /cithara/ our /Guitar/ is derived. The Italian /chittarone/
was a long-necked /theorbo/ or bass lute. The KIQARA is NOT a harp, beloved
of cartoonists who depict "saints" with haloes, dressed in white gowns,
standing on white fleecy clouds, strumming harps. A Harp is NABLION, from
the Hebrew NeBheL (Amos 6:5, LXX ORGANON) or KiNNoWR (1 Samuel 16:23, LXX
KINURA). The KINURA was probably a three-cornered harp. Nicomachus mentions
that Pythagoras redesigned the KINURA after discovering the ratios of
consonant harmonics. See Sir J Stainer MA MusDoc, /The Music of the Bible/,
New Ed. FW Galpin, London 1914, pp 13ff (KINURA), pp 69ff (KIQARA).

They sing a New Song WiDHN KAINHN, as in Psalm 144:9 LXX. In Isaiah 42:10
the New Song hUMNON KAINON [ShiYR KaDhaSh] is to be sung to the LORD, in
honour of the New Order to be brought in by the Servant of YHWH. The WiDH
KAINH is appropriate the New Name ONOMA KAINON (Revelation 2:17; 3:12); to
the New Jerusalem KAINHS IEROUSALHM (3:12, 21:2); to the New Heavens and
the New Earth OURANOS KAINOS KAI GH KAINH (21:1); and to the All Things New
KAINA... PANTA (21:5).

I'm looking forward to being "among that number, when the Saints go marching
in..."!

Best wishes
Ben

--