Re: Rev 5:8-9 Who sang the new song?

Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Tue, 12 May 98 23:39:30

On Tue 12 May 98 (15:29:31), jsweiger@cswnet.com wrote:
> As you may have read in a prior query to Carl, I have no problem
> interpreting the symbol of the 24 elders as a corporate figure who sing
> a NEW song of redemption. However, where do the living creatures ZWA
> fit in since they apparently join in the song of redemption? I've even
> thought they might have been haruspices who I have seen in iconography
> as wearing wings. By the way the idea of being covered with "eyes"
> seems to be a mistranslation of the Hebrew. I think rather it should be
> "facets" indicating some sort of jeweled cape. Any thoughts on their
> identity or even the literal significance of the symbol?

Dear John

What a fascinating question. Hepatoscopy was a method of divination
similar to the "Rohrschach" or ink blot test. The priest (aruspice)
cut open the sacrificial victim, and examined the liver, the renes and
other entrails, in order to try to divine the future: compare the telling
of fortunes by tealeaves (the dregs in the bottom of a teacup). The
Haruspices were also the sacrifical rams whose entrails were thus examined.

It seems to come obliquely into the Bible in Psalm 26:2, "Examine me, O
LORD, and test me; try my reins [renes, kidneys] and my heart".

In Revelation 4:6-8 we have a conflation, as it were, of the vision of
YHWH's mobile throne (Ezekiel 1:5-14), and of the priests' great bronze
laver in Solomon's Temple (1 Kings 7:23-37), but now filled with solid
crystal, not water. The four creatures described in Revelation 4:7-8 are
found in the "castors" (wheels) beneath the mobile throne in Ezekiel 1:10;
and on the ten bases of the great laver were "lions, oxen, and cherubim"
(1 Kings 7:29). "Full of eyes" implies watchfulness, wakefulness. Eyes in
the backs of their heads, even. The "wheels" could move in any direction
without having to be turned first; they were castors such as we have on
our furniture. Even Solomon's massive laver, full of water, was able to
be moved around on its castors! An impressive engineering feat for its day
(tenth century BC).

The Wings are reminiscent of the Seraphim (not Cherubim) round the throne
in Isaiah 6, Isaiah's Call Vision. Isaiah's Seraphim had also 6 wings each.
And they cried ceaselessly "Holy Holy Holy is the LORD of hosts".

A jewelled cape with multi-faceted diamonds? I've never heard that
suggestion before. The parallel with Ezekiel 1:18 seems against it; John
clearly has Ezekiel's vision before him in his mind.

The early church was in no doubt as to the identity or significance of the
TESSARA ZWA. The one with the face like a lion represents Matthew's Gospel;
the one with the face like a calf (ox) represents Mark's Gospel. The one
with the human face represents the Gospel of Luke. The one with the face of
an eagle represents the Gospel of John. You will see these four creatures
pictured in stained glass windows in older churches there they always
represent the Four Gospels or the Four Evangelists.

The Lion is the King of the Wild animals; the Ox is the king of the Tamed
animals; the Man is the king of creation; the Eagle is the king of the
birds. Thus Mother Nature is represented before the throne of Father God!
But the ZWA represent the Four Gospels giving testimony to the salvation of
our God, which is due to the life, death and resurrection of the Lamb
(Revelation 5:9, the words of the New Song).

This Song is sung by all; because "we all are made unto God kings and
priests" (verse 10); not just the TESSARA ZWA.

So the ZWA are a very composite multum-in-parvo image, evoking many mental
associations in the minds of the worshippers and of John.

How's that?

Ben (also Army chaplain, retired)

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF