Re: Lexicons and Principal parts (Long)

Wed, 13 May 1998 10:25:21 -0400

--============_-1317052871==_ma============

At 9:58 PM -0400 5/12/98, Chuck Tripp wrote:
>B-Greekers
>
>I have been following with some interest the discussion on the value of
>lists. I have sort have been working on greek for some three years now on
>my own. I too have the same problem with the vocabularies. I can go
>through a whole stack of cards and get almost all of them. Yet when I read
>a text, often even though most of the words should be familiar to me, I
>have to really concentrate on what the sentence means.
>
>What I have done here lately, is look to analyse a sentence as far as I can
>without looking at references to the point of forming hypotheses as to what
>a word means based on how it is used in the sentence. Often, this goes
>into a notebook. Then I start looking at lexicons and my references. I
>have found these sessions to be great learning experiences.
>
>I noticed some discussions as to good lexicons. I have a lexicon by Joseph
>Thayer. Any opinions of it compared to others? Also, I was thinking of
>tackling some classical greek texts, any suggestions for a general lexicon
>as opposed to one which focuses on the N.T.

There is no substitute for Liddell-Scott-Jones with the latest addendum by
Glare. That's the unabridged; the older LSJ is on-line at the Perseus
website and you can even configure your browser to read it in Greek. As it
seems relevant to the current discussion of learning vocabulary, I'm going
to re-post here something I originally wrote and sent to list in January
1996; the key point is STUDYING lexicon-entries; I'm convinced that this
and reading vast amounts is the only ultimately useful method of acquiring
vocabulary. Here's the older piece:

----------------
=46rom: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 08:13:25 -0600
Subject: using lexicons and learning Greek

Please forgive the patronizing tone of this. I have been tutoring a few
students in NT Greek recently and meditating much over the attitudes that
foster success in learning it and that inhibit success in learning it. For
what it's worth, I'd just like to offer the following thoughts, most of
which are probably obvious to many list readers.

Many on this list are accomplished scholars in the GNT, but many are also
in the process of learning the Greek of the NT, and in a deeper sense, I'd
say we are all in the process of learning the Greek of the NT. So I want to
offer some thoughts on means and ends in learning the Greek of the NT with
regard to texts and lexicons that I hope may be helpful, particularly when
one considers the number of hours that are spent puzzling through texts
that begrudge you their meanings and poring over lexicon entries that seem
to be pages long and (superficially) as meaningless as the sequence of
names in a telephone directory.

A student of the New Testament can readily come to hate an unabridged Greek
lexicon. She or he is endeavoring to learn Greek with the primary if not in
fact sole purpose of reading the GNT. In itself that is a reasonable and
laudable objective, but it has to be understood and actualized in a much
broader context for the obvious reason that the Greek language really
wasn't created for the purpose of writing the GNT (however much one wants
to praise (or blame) God for choosing to have the NT written in Greek). One
has to see that the NT is one complex of documents written in a language
used by people over a very broad geographical area for every purpose for
which one uses any language. Consequently, although one may aim ultimately
at reading of the NT with one's acquired facility in Koine Greek, one must
learn the language and make learning the language--for the time
being--one's primary objective. What this means is that any text--be it
from the NT, from the LXX, from an Apostolic Father, or from a papyrus
letter--any text that you undertake to read must be seen not as an end in
itself but as a means to learn some more Greek. So one isn't aiming at
working out an acceptable English equivalent of that text; rather you're
aiming at understanding the Greek of that text and increasing one's
knowledge of Greek through that text. The lexicon is one's friend, and the
fuller the lexicon entry on a noun, verb, or whatnot, the greater the
opportunity one has to expand his or her knowledge of Greek. If one views
it as a hindrance, as a mass of verbiage to scan in order to find the one
workable gloss that matches the phrasing of your text passage, then one
won't learn anything from it and is likely to miss most of what he or she
could have learned from consulting the lexicon on that word. One needs to
labor "lovingly" (I use the word deliberately) over the array of structured
meanings and relationships between meanings suggested in a lexicon entry
and one should seek to ascertain the logic and psychological probabilities
accounting for the ramifications of meanings from the primary to secondary
and tertiary levels. A word, after all, is not, however much similarity it
may have to a mathematical sign, is not a mathematical sign, but a page or
a chapter in the history of human experience, loaded with metaphorical
leaps and powerful emotional overtones and undertones. Words have
personalities that need to be learned, as best one can learn them, and just
as it is hard, perhaps impossible to know fully (EPIGNWNAI?) the spouse one
has lived with for decades, so it is impossible to acquire any sense of a
word whose lexicon entry one scans superficially in order to find a meaning
that "fits" the context of what one's reading.

May I suggest, therefore, that language learning be treated as an end in
itself while one is in the process of learning it. The passage that one is
reading and the lexicon that one consults are means to that end and should
be exploited toward that end. The translation of the passage is at best a
by-product of learning; much to be preferred is an understanding of how the
passage conveys its thoughts and feelings through the linguistic medium it
employs; it is to be viewed and grasped as an expression of a
Greek-thinking person and one should endeavor to make it a means to assist
one to become a Greek-thinking person onself. Ultimately this may be
helpful when one endeavors to read and interpret the inspired texts
transmitted to us by the Greek-thinking persons who put into writing our
New Testament.
----------------------

>Also, I noticed a discussion of "principal parts". In three greek books
>I've used so far, one used the notion of "principal parts" to expain how
>the verbs work. The other two attempt predict what the verbs will look
>like starting with the stem. I personally find the principal parts thing a
>little heavy on the memorization. Any thoughts on the value of one system
>over another?

Mounce calls them something else, I don't recall, but he does retain them.
You don't need to know the principal parts for regular verbs--and most
verbs really are regular, even if they are deficient (lack forms) in some
tenses or voices. But there are about 60+ verbs (perhaps fewer for Koin=E9;
that's my figure for Attic) that one really needs to know in order to
recognize TENSE STEMS for the present, future, aorist active/middle,
perfect active, perfect middle/passive, and aorist reflexive/passive. Yes,
it's a lot of memorization, but the effort is worthwhile. Memorize them,
but memorize them in such a way that you can instantly break apart a form
like EPRACQHN and see how it is a form of PRATTW, or ETEQHN and see how it
is a form of TIQHMI. The most difficult of all is perhaps hIHMI, which has
forms in which the only discernible remnant of the root is -H- or -E-; this
difficulty is somewhat alleviated in Koin=E9, however, by the fact that the
thematic form AFIW is replacing and for the most part has replaced the
older athematic AFIHMI--but this is a pretty important verb, associated as
it is with the "remission" of sins.

Most teachers of grammar really do try to simplify the learning of Greek as
much as possible, but beyond a certain point simplification becomes
increasingly omission of what is essential. So do the drudge work, learn
the Greek the hard way like anyone who ever really learned Greek other than
as a native language has had to do. It still PAYS to do so.
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 08:13:25 -0600

Subject: using lexicons and learning Greek=20

> [...]

instantly break apart a form like EPRACQHN and see how it is a form of
PRATTW, or ETEQHN and see how it is a form of TIQHMI. The most
difficult of all is perhaps hIHMI, which has forms in which the only
discernible remnant of the root is -H- or -E-; this difficulty is
somewhat alleviated in Koin=E9, however, by the fact that the thematic
form AFIW is replacing and for the most part has replaced the older
athematic AFIHMI--but this is a pretty important verb, associated as it
is with the "remission" of sins.

Most teachers of grammar really do try to simplify the learning of
Greek as much as possible, but beyond a certain point simplification
becomes increasingly omission of what is essential. So do the drudge
work, learn the Greek the hard way like anyone who ever really learned
Greek other than as a native language has had to do. It still PAYS to
do so.=20

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu