Re: Chiasm in Matt7:6

clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Tue, 19 May 1998 13:39:21 +0000

Steven Cox wrote:

> In 1914 ATR cited Matt7:6 as an example of chiasm.
> Likewise TCV NCV TEV recognise an ab/ba structure.
> But NIV NKJV NASB RVR do not. ...on what grounds?

Generally speaking English translations cannot be relied upon to represent the
structure of the Greek text.

I took a look at Matt 7:6 and it did seem to have a hint of chiasm but the
last element in the ab/ba structure does not really correspond the the first.
The actions of the third and forth elements are both performed by the pigs
(Meyer, Alford, Hendrikson . . .).

I think if you diagram the sentence you will discover that what we have here
is parallelism not chaism. And the parallelism is the most evident in the
first two prohibitions and weaker in the last two warnings.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point