RE: Romans 4:25 For or Through our Justification?

Perry L. Stepp (plstepp@flash.net)
Wed, 20 May 1998 11:52:58 -0400

> From: Bill Ross [mailto:wross@farmerstel.com]

> Romans 4:25 in four translations:

> The phrase DIA THN DIKAIWSIN hHMWN is treated oddly.
>
> I would want to translate it "through the justification of us". Wouldn't
> that be better than any of these?

What you're suggesting is basically the equivalent of Young, isn't it ("He
was raised up because of our being declared righteous.")?

But no, it's not a good translation. With the accusative, DIA is most
frequently used to indicate the reason for an action, thus the RSV and the
others are to be preferred.

Grace,

PLStepp

Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
Ph.D. Candidate in Religion, Baylor University
#1 Cowboy Fan
Keeper of the Top-10, news://alt.fan.letterman

*(Calvin): People think it must be fun to be
a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is
to put up with all the idiots in the world.

(Hobbes): Isn't your pants' zipper supposed to be
in the front?