Re: Romans 4:25 For or Through our Justification?

Mary L B Pendergraft (pender@wfu.edu)
Wed, 20 May 1998 13:01:56 -0400

At 10:40 AM 5/20/98 -0500, Bill Ross wrote:
>Romans 4:25 in four translations:
> RSV who was put to death for our trespasses and raised for
>our justification.
> KJV Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again
>for our justification.
> DBY who has been delivered for our offences and has been
>raised for our justification, it will be reckoned.
> YLT who was delivered up because of our offences, and was
>raised up because of our being declared righteous.
>
>The phrase DIA THN DIKAIWSIN hHMWN is treated oddly.
>
>I would want to translate it "through the justification of us". Wouldn't
>that be better than any of these?

One of those chants that's worth memorizing (as I tell my students
frequently):
"DIA + genitive = "through"
DIA + accusative = "on account of" "

Mary

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109-7343
336-758-5331 (NOTE: this is a new number) pender@wfu.edu