Re: Book Burning

clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Wed, 20 May 1998 13:07:00 +0000

Don Wilkins wrote:

> Perhaps an analytical lexicon should be given a decent back-yard burial. I
> have sometimes thought that a good student can legitimately use one at
> around 2:30 AM to avoid insanity after s/he has already spent a couple of
> hours trying to hunt down an elusive form. But the disadvantages still
> outweigh "legitimate" uses. It takes almost superhuman discipline not to
> avail oneself of ready remedies habitually, and there are times when one can
> easily make mistakes using an anal. lexicon. E.g., some forms overlap in
> spelling, and in general the print is very small and the explanations
> cryptic.

Don

My solution to dependence on the myriad of aids for NT study is to do some
work in Agamemnon and Oedipus Rex. It is a bracing experience to be forced to
think about the text. It slows you down but you start learning again.

>Do burn the interlinear, though, and if you need a copy of the TR,
> buy the official H KAINH DIAQHKH :-).

I don't need a copy of the TR and the Jay Green book is not a pure TR anyway,
it is the Trinity text, which is an attempt to "correct" the TR to the KJV. It
is a curio and doesn't take up much space. I have other curio's in my library
like Cremer's Theological Lexicon, Sauter's Lexicon, Albert Thumb's Grammar to
name a few (no I don't want to sell them).

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point