Re: Galations 6:9

Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Wed, 20 May 1998 18:08:55 -0400

At 06:01 PM 5/20/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear B-Greekers,
> Galations 6:9 reads,

Actually, its Galatians. Galations is a village down the road from
possumville, visited by Paul on his 8th missionary journey. :)

>"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for
>in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."
>Regarding this verse I was posed the question as to whether the word for
>"grow weary" (egkakwmen) might possibly mean "quit." It made me think hard
>in light of different things I am going through (graduation in 3 days, next
>Fall, and other miscellaneous "hardships and confusions"). These things
>have me "weary" in the sense of being physically tired, emotionally
>strained, etc.--yet it is not that I have given up or quit.
> So could the verse read, "And let us not *give up* while doing good..."?

Yes- excellent! "giving up" is the root idea of the verb, or tiring out.
"let us not give up or tire out" is essentially correct.

>Please be gentle with me if I'm totally wrong. =)

No one on this list is ever abrasive, rude, unkind, vindictive, harsh, or
belligerant! You have to join alt.sci.fiction for that kind of mean
spiritedness. ;)

>~Allison

PS- regarding your graduation- get a copy of Bultmann's sermons from your
library and read his homily on the turning points of life!!!! Really a
remarkable piece of work.

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology