Re: Romans 4:25 For or Through our Justification?

dalmatia@eburg.com
Thu, 21 May 1998 08:15:11 -0700

Burt Rozema wrote:

> Bill Ross wrote:
> >
> > BILL
> > our justification.
> > again for our justification.
> > raised for our justification, it will be reckoned.
> > raised up because of our being declared righteous.

> > MARY
> > >One of those chants that's worth memorizing (as I tell my students
> > frequently):
> > >"DIA + genitive = "through"
> > >DIA + accusative = "on account of" "
> >
> > BILL
> > So, would the best translation be "delivered on account of our offences and
> > has been raised on account of our justification" as opposed to "for our
> > justification"? My problem with "for" is that it sounds like "in order to
> > effect", rather than "as a effect of". It seems that the sense of "on
> > account of" is that we are dealing with the effect, not the cause.
>
> Bill,
>
> For DIA + acc. -- try "for the sake of" in addition to "on account of".
> That often works in situations like this.

Thanks, Burt ~

That is my sense of it in English as well, and in the Greek, the sense
that comes through for me is 'Through this consideration' in DIA plus
Accusative. I would imagine Bill is getting weary of all this by
now!!

George