Re: Question in John 6:10

Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Fri, 22 May 1998 19:47:34 -0400

At 06:29 PM 5/22/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Friends:
>
>While reading John 6:10, I noticed an interesting construction that I
>wanted a second opinion on, so I wrote this list.
>
>My translation:
>"Jesus said, 'Make the men sit down!'; there was much grass in the place.
>Therefore, the number of men who sat down were 5,000."
>
>What I found odd was the consrtuction "anepesan hoi andres ton arithmon hos
>pentakisxiloi"
>
>I was expecting to find "ton arithmon" in the genitive, i.e., genitive of
>description(?), as " . . .hoi andres twn arithmon hos pentakisxiloi." How
>can "ton arithmon" be accusative and not genitive? Does anyone have any
>suggestions?
>
>Thanks
>
>Peace and Love
>
>Timothy T. Dickens

I dont find anything unusual about this construction- in fact, I would
expect the accusative and if the genitive appeared I would be dismayed for
the poor grammar. "The men's number was around 5000", etc. It almost
sounds genitive in english, but it clearly makes sense in Greek.

That, by the way, is why reading greek in english is bad.
When you read greek, think greek.

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology