Re: Philo Exsecr.

Steven Cox (scox@ns1.chinaonline.com.cn.net)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 00:46:09 +0800

First off apologies to list members for repeat posts
I think the technical problem is solved now (thanks JR)

At 17:32 98/06/14 +0100, Daniel Riaņo wrote:
>Not that I am familiar with it, but, see the entry in the TLG
>De praemiis et poenis + De exsecrationibus, ed. L. Cohn, Philonis
>Alexandrini opera quae supersunt, vol. 5. Berlin: Reimer, 1906
>(repr. De Gruyter, 1962): 336-376.

Daniel
Muchas gracias. So it appears to be part of what is normally
abbreviated in Loeb as "Praem." Armed with this info I found
the following footnote on p676 of Hendrickson ed. of Yonge's
Philo after 126 of On Rewards (De praemiis) as follows:

"Yonge's translation includes a seperate treatise title at
this point: On Curses. Accordingly his next paragraph begins
with roman numeral I (=XXI in the Loeb) and Yonge's "treatise"
concludes with number IX (=XXIV in the Loeb). The publisher
has elected to follow the Loeb numbering."

Mystery solved.

But oddly the numbering system remains the same even when the
"two" treatises are merged so if under OIKOUROS Bauer lists
"(cf. Philo, Exsecr. 139)" context is still under Praem.139

Regards and thanks again
Steven

---
b-greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek