[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Mark 7:19

 Greetings.  The following message was sent to me by a subscriber to
the alt.messianic newsgroup.  He requested that I forward it to the
New Testament Greek mailing list.  I'll collect the replies and post
them to alt.messianic.  Thanks!

>From:	MX%"tom%portland@tredysvr.tredydev.Unisys.COM" 21-JUL-1992 15:54:36.66
>To:	CMS
>Subj:	Mark 7:19 in the Greek
>
>Cindy,
>
>I don't know if you've continued to follow alt.messianic, but there has
>been some discussion of Mark 7:19, and whether the parenthetical phrase
>"(And thus He declared all food clean.)" is in the original or not.  All
>the modern translation seems to have the phrase, but it is missing in the
>KJV.  The claim by the MJs is that it is a later addition, and the verse
>cannot be used to claim that Jesus' was setting aside the old testament
>food laws.
>
>Since you have access to a Greek mailing list, would you post a query on the
>subject and share the response with alt.messianic?  Or send the response to
>me and I'll post it for the newsgroup.
>
>Thanks.

 According to Meztger's Textual Commentary, "The overwhelming weight
of manuscript evidence supports the reading katharidzwn.  The
difficulty of construing this word in the stence prompted copyists to
attempt various corrections and ameliorations."  A footnote says,
"Many modern scholars, following the interpretation suggested by
Origen and Chrysostom, regard katharidzwn as connected grammatically
with legei in ver. 18, and take it as the evangelist's comment on the
implications of Jesus' words concerning Jewish dietary laws."

 Also, the kai is omitted in most manuscripts; there is no "and" or
"and thus" or "then."  Also, the question mark occurs after the
brwmata, instead of after the ekporeuetai.  Obviously, the clause
after katharidzwn is a statement, not a question.

>--
>Tom Albrecht

Cindy Smith
cms@dragon.com