[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

How did God intend to "in Abraham's seed bless the nations"

I had always thought the promise to Abraham that "In your seed all the nations
shall be blessed" was a round-about way of blessing. The options being:

Israel will be an example, do good works, etc.

Israel will result in Christ who will bless the nations.

The first option is a very weak sort of blessing compared with what we think
of as the blessings of God (His life and holy character).

The second option does not seem to be what the author had in mind given that
the seed is more numerous than the sand.

But the option I have suggested sees the blessing as the relationship with God
by faith, but available to all, and therefore to all the nations. It does not
have the problems of either of the other two views, and seems less convoluted,
even though it means a very different interpretation.
David John Marotta, Medical Center Computing, Stacey Hall
Univ of Virginia (804) 982-3718 wrk INTERNET: djm5g@virginia.edu
Box 512 Med Cntr (804) 924-5261 msg   BITNET: djm5g@virginia
C'ville VA 22908 (804) 296-7209 fax   IBM US: usuvarg8
*** Forwarding note from SMTP    --DMT03    10/07/92 17:31 ***