[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What was Paul's main point anyway?

David John Marotta writes:

> Paul is doing more than teaching retoric, he is trying to prove a point
> objectively from the Hebrew Scriptures.

This is precisely the point at which I believe we part company.  I
agree that Paul is not teaching rhetoric, but what does it mean to say
that he is "trying to prove a point objectively from the Hebrew
Scriptures."  Paul might be trying very hard to demonstrate his point
from Hebrew scriptures and still not conform to our canons of
legitimate objective argumentation and exegesis.  Indeed it would be
unlikely that he would do so, for these canons were very different
in his world than they are in ours.

Paul J. Bodin                         Internet: pjb3@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Union Theological Seminary               smail: 435-52nd Street
(718) 439-3549                                  Brooklyn, NY 11220