[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Historical Greek Grammars

Anyone who doubts the relevance of tracing Greek diachronically
could do worse than to consult Jannaris historical grammar of Greek.

I would argue that we need to consult first the nearest texts
-nearest in time or genre or register etc.  but to refuse to extend
our search would often miss important evidence.  The entries in
Bauer's lexicon are very revealing here and repay careful attention.

More loosely though - are there not some who argue that intertextuality
means that every text is relevant to every other text.  I personally
would wish to argue that "closer" texts are more relevant.  Does anyone know
of a good theoretical discussion of this aspect of the intertextuality
argument?

David M.
David L. Mealand            *    Bitnet:   D.Mealand%uk.ac.edinburgh@ukacrl
University of Edinburgh     *    Office Fax: (+44)-31-220-0952
Scotland,U.K.   EH1 2LX     *    Office tel.:(+44)-31-225-8400 ext.221/217