[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Matt.28.1 and John 4.7

On Tue, 23 Mar 1993 HEADLY@fsunuc.physics.fsu.edu wrote:

> Can anyone offer comments on the passage in Matt.28.1 concerning
> the time of arrival of the two women to the empty tomb?  The
> phrase is
>    )OYE\ DE\ SABBA/TWN, TH= )EPIFWSKOU/SH )EIS MI/AN SABBA/TWN,
>
> and could be translated as "Now late on the  sabbath, as dusk was
> approaching towards the first day of the week,"  as well as the
> usual rendering of being early in the morning on Sunday, as it
> was getting light.

I'm confused on where the first translation comes from.  I understand the
ambiguity of )OYE\: it can either mean "late" or "after."  But I am not
aware of )EPIFW/SKW ever referring to dusk.  BAGD only offers "shine
forth", "dawn", "break", and perhaps "draw on".  Thus, by implication
)OYE\ must mean "after."

Wes Allen
Emory University

Follow-Ups: References: