[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Matt.28.1 and John 4.7

> On Tue, 23 Mar 1993 HEADLY@fsunuc.physics.fsu.edu wrote:
>
> > Can anyone offer comments on the passage in Matt.28.1 concerning
> > the time of arrival of the two women to the empty tomb?  The
> > phrase is
> >    )OYE\ DE\ SABBA/TWN, TH= )EPIFWSKOU/SH )EIS MI/AN SABBA/TWN,
> >
> > and could be translated as "Now late on the  sabbath, as dusk was
> > approaching towards the first day of the week,"  as well as the
> > usual rendering of being early in the morning on Sunday, as it
> > was getting light.
>

> I'm confused on where the first translation comes from.  I understand the
> ambiguity of )OYE\: it can either mean "late" or "after."  But I am not
> aware of )EPIFW/SKW ever referring to dusk.  BAGD only offers "shine
> forth", "dawn", "break", and perhaps "draw on".  Thus, by implication
> )OYE\ must mean "after."
>
> Wes Allen
> Emory University

Louw and Nida (Greek-English Lexicon of the NT based on Semantic
Domains) defines )EPIFW/SKW as: "to change from darkness to light in
the early morning hours -- 'to dawn, to become light'" (par. 14.41, p.
174). So I concur with Wes.

                         _\\|//_
                           o o
 Tyler Williams                          Department of Near Eastern Studies
 Internet: twilliam@epas.utoronto.ca                  University of Toronto
 Voice: (416) 963-9082                                     Toronto, Ontario

		   "Of making many books there is no end,
		      and much study wearies the body"
 						-Qoh 12:12