[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Summer Greek in seminaries

{     _                        }
{ Houtos egrapse Jim Brownson: }
     As I see it, the real issue is not the first year, but the second
year of Greek.  In my opinion, no one but the most brilliant student is
capable of coming to a full working knowledge of Greek in one year's study.
This is a continual source of frustration to me, since I teach in a school
which only requires the equivalent of one year's competency in Greek.  There
aren't many seminaries in the country that are still holding out for two
years study.  That giant sucking sound you hear has been going on for
some time now.
Jim Brownson
Brownsonj@hope.edu
Having often taught intensive Greek, Latin, and French in 8- or 10-week
summer sessions, I concur in most of the foregoing remarks and add a
few:
     1. Two teachers, far better than one
     2. No working students whatsoever (not even part-time)
     3. Full year of second-year Greek immediately afterward
     4. Ten weeks, not eight
     5. Inductive method, somewhat better than traditional deduct.
     6. Drill sections, new-material sections, and BREAKS!
     7. Air-conditioning
The clear commentary on the decline of mandatory Greek study among
Christians, no, among college and seminary administrations(!) and
per-clergy students, is simply that they don't take their traditions
seriously.  The Muslims, Jews, and Buddhists are far ahead of Christians
here, among others.
--David N. Wigtil, david.wigtil@mailgw.er.doe.gov