[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

arsenokoites and malakos

(Warning, small amount of additional promotion follows :-)

I can't resist because this is just the type of situation in which
Louw-Nida may provide useful insights. With a few mouse clicks, I get
the following two entries:

88.280  a)rsenokoi/thj, ou m : a male partner in homosexual
intercourse - `homosexual.' ou)k oi)/date o(/ti ... ou)/te moixoi\
ou)/te malakoi\ ou)/te a)rsenokoi=tai ... basilei/an qeou=
klhronomh/sousin `don't you know that ... no adulterers or homosexuals
... will receive the kingdom of God' 1 Cor 6.9-10. It is possible that
a)rsenokoi/thj in certain contexts refers to the active male partner
in homosexual intercourse in contrast with malako/j b , the passive
male partner (88.281).

88.281  malako/j b , ou= m : the passive male partner in homosexual
intercourse - `homosexual.' For a context of malako/j b , see 1 Cor
6.9-10 in 88.280. As in Greek, a number of  other languages also have
entirely distinct terms for the active and passive roles in homosexual
intercourse.

====
Of course, one would want to search the papyri as well as the TLG. The
PHI papyri produces the well-known PHib  2 as well as other examples.

John Baima
Silver Mountain Software   1029 Tanglewood, Cedar Hill, TX 75104
john@ling.uta.edu          Voice (214) 293-2920 Fax 293-2921