[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: arsenokoites and malakos

In message <9401251826.AA17998@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu> you write:

>>    From: Tony Bowden <dejavu@athmail1.causeway.qub.ac.uk>
>>    Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 15:35:19 GMT
>>    Sender: u8915431@athmail1.causeway.qub.ac.uk
>>
>>    I'm doing my Dissertation this year on Homosexuality and the Church, and
>>    a major part of the Biblical argument centres around the translations of
>>    the two words arsenokoites and malakos and 1Cor 6:9 and 1Tim 1:10 ...
>>
>>    Does anyone know any good references on this question, or have any thoughts
>>    on what these terms would have meant to Paul ?
>>
>> "A major part of the Biblical argument".  Does that mean that you
>> already have an argument in place, and you are seeking references that
>> will support you?  That doesn't sound like research to me.
>>
>> 	-mib

No ... I never said that ....

There is very little direct biblical reference to homosexuality.  A major
component of the arguments on both sides is over the interpretation of these
two words - thus my research into them  :)

The `traditional` translations of these as referring to 'homosexuals' in
general has come under a lot of fire, but at the minute I haven't many
references to detailed discussion of them.

Tony

Tony Bowden, Belfast, N Ireland    | I have discovered a truly marvelous flaw
dejavu@athmail1.causeway.qub.ac.uk | in Wile's proof of Fermat's last theorem
(or)      aj998@yfn.ysu.edu        | which unfortunately this 4 line .sig is
                                   | not large enough to contain.
"Vicki Robinson is a Perl-using masonic turkey, and a Kibo wannabe, who makes
ARMM look like NAMBLA."                                     - Darren Aitcheson

Follow-Ups: References: