[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Canon re:inclusion of Thomas

>Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 8:26:54 -0600 (CST)
>From: GILBERTD@vaxine.swac.edu
>Subject: Canon re:inclusion of Thomas
>
>  The gospel of Tomas was not widely accepted by the early Christian
>church, in fact it was regarded as Gnostic.

If the work was regarded as gnostic, then very likely it *was* widely
accepted in the early Christian church.

Now, it is probably true that it was not widely accepted in those branches
of the early church which were to become the ancestors of what we today
regard as the (orthodox --with a small "o") church.  But that is
significantly different from saying it "was not widely accepted by the
early Christian church".