[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

gender-specific references to Holy Spirit???

Enclosed below is discussion from another list.  Could you please shed some light on this
subject.

> > Robert> 	2. Are there any gender-specific Greek languange references
> > Robert> 	to the Holy Spirit in the New Testament?

> > And if there are, what relation do they have to their English language
> > equivalent?  As I don't yet read Greek I'm on thin ice, but I dimly
> > recall from somewhere that most pronoun references to the Holy Spirit
> > (e.g., John 14:16-17) use a Greek word which is a neuter personal;
> > "it" in English refers to objects and not persons, so there is no
> > English equivalent for that term.  Even if I'm incorrect, any
> > reference that does indicate femininity should be handled with care,
> > bearing in mind that Greek is much more precise than English.
>

> Yes, and that is exactly the type of thing I'd like to know from
> someone who does read Greek (or several to be more sure!).

* Jim F. Hill               |                              *
* 301 S. 20th St., Ste 201  |   There are two things that  *
* Birmingham, AL 35233      |   a grown man should never   *
* USA                       |   see; sausage being made,   *
* Tel: (205)731-9670        |   and legislation being      *

* Fax: (205)731-9856        |   passed.                    *
* Internet: jim@hsf.uab.edu |   -Benjamin Franklin-        *