[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: John 16:13,14

After reading the passages referred to by Christian von Dehsen, I
must agree with him, and thus withdraw my suggestion.  It seems clear
that in the broader context <GK>ekeinos<gk> "that one" does refer
specifically to <GK>ho parakletos<gk> and the use in 16:8 establishes
this for vv. 13 and 14.  Thank you Christian!

> 16:13&14 refers to pneuma, I would suggest that its actual referent is the
> masculine ho parakletos in 16:7 (cf. ekeinos in 16:8).  Ekeinos also refers to
> ho parakletos in 14:26 and 15:26.  In John 16:13,14, therefore, John is not
> using a masculine form to refer to a neuter noun; he is using a masculine for
> to distinguish the parakletos from the pneuma.
>
> Christian D. von Dehsen
> Carthage College
> cdvd@cns.carthage.edu

 Glenn Wooden