[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: An Aoristic Perfect Tense?

I too await the erodition of others.  It was helpful to me,
in learning to speak an African language in my youth, to
find there too a timeless tense.  There were was of speaking
of any event without specifiying its time in relations to
other actions.  The "tense" of that verbal form could only
be inferred from the context or from previous experience of
the events in question.

That is what I was taught about the aorist tense in Greek:
it carries no inherent time.  The time, or timelessness,
of any instance of the aorist is implied by the speaker or
inferred by the hearer from contextual signals or the
nature of the discourse.

Galen Currah
currah@iclnet93,iclnet.org