[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

positivistic use of language

Just a minute!

With regards to all those discussing "positivistic language" ...

If the "logical positivism" of Ayer and Russell is what you had in mind for a
"positivistic view of language" then I am thoroughly confused.  How can the
logical positivist's anti-metaphysical restriction of meaningful language to
analytical (mathematical-logical) and empirical (verifiable, at least in
principle) statements, then how in the world can a "positivistic view of
language" be credited to "fundamentalists?"  I thought that the hallmark of
fundamentalism was a *rejection* of the distinction between noumenal and
phenomenal modes of thought.  I cannot imagine a fundamentalist agreeing that
only statements which are in principle verifiable by scientific method are
meaningful.